The Alchemist | Book Review

It's not usual for me to give a review of a book. But let me try hahaha ... It's a novel! It is entitled The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

First of all, I would like to tell you as to how I come across this novel. I did not intentionally want to have this novel. It was given to me by an American woman sitting next to me when I flew from Japan to United States of America. She is a teacher, English teacher, at Korea. We had a nice conversations and she was excited to know that I was an American Studies student, a department that she once wanted to enroll in. In the middle of flight she asked whether I like reading or not, then I said 'yes i do'. She then gave a novel by Paulo Coelho entitled 'The Alchemist'. She completed reading the novel for its ninth time, so she said. She told me how good the novel was. Well, frankly I am not a fan of novel reading. But then, I started reading this novel a couple of months after I was done with all of my thesis and graduation thingies.
Source: Mylot

The novel tells about a shepherd namely Santiago who had recurring dreams of a boy telling him to seek treasures under a pyramid. The adventurous Santiago then decides to follow what his dreams tells him to do after he consults to a gypsy woman. He is more convinced to go after a magical man named Melchizedek, who claims himself to be the king of Salem tells him that it is Santiago's Personal Legend.

He then starts his trip encountering various people and experiences. But there is this Englishman that introduces Santiago to a term called 'Alchemist'. The Englishman says that he is in a journey to become an Alchemist. He says an Alchemist is a person who can turn a lead into a gold using a Philosophers Stone and cure all ills as well as extending one's life span using Elixir of Life. All of these stories sounds so extravagant to Santiago but he believes that finding the Alchemist is not his Personal Legend.


The caravan that he and the Englishmen rode in needs to halt in a oases called Al-Fayoum since there is this tribal war raging across the desert. There, Santiago met an old man who turns out to be an alchemist. The alchemist then tells Santiago that he actually is one step closer to becoming an alchemist because Santiago somehow understands the language of the universe. The alchemist then accompanies Santiago to go to the Pyramid to find his Personal Legend. They are involved in adventurous journey. How will it end? You better read it yourself.

Simple. This novel plot is very simple but I think it is what makes the novel interesting. It does not offer complicated plot. It is very linear but surprising ending. Overall, the novel teaches us that if we have a dream, we have to seize for it. And if we are persistent enough, there will be helps which can come from unknown sources. Besides, you also need to carefully read the signs given by God. Well, I now believe that God gives signs in our life. I myself experienced it within the last four months. And it is up to us how to interpret the signs.

One more thing that I love about the novel is that it has plenty good quotations. They are inspiring quotations that can motivate yourself to better your life. So below are some of my favorites

"The future belongs to God, and it is only he who reveals it, under extraordinary circumstances."
"Everything has been written by the same hand."
"Courage is the quality most essential to understanding the Language of the World. "
"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream "
"There is only one way to learn," the alchemist answered. "It's through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey."

Well, it is a very recommended book to read! Go read it... you won't regret it.




Comments

  1. Paulo Coehlo is an expert wordsmith. he can turn scattered words into an inspiring sentences..

    somehow, this story reminds me to the Polish folklore. i don't know whether it's an adaptation from the folklore or not..
    but that's not a big problem. the more important thing is, it's just an inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! inspiring, a journey to seize Personal Legend. What is your Personal Legend eh?? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the last quote
    well, the last time I read novel was two years ago... I was forced to read... *blaming Book Report tasks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaah??? really?? it was on the list book report subject? cool :) improvement, no more dominated by canonical literary works ... :)) well it was worth forcing, wasn't it? hohoho

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaa.... i'm late reading this post kik. you wrote it almost two years ago :)
    the alchemist is my most fav book ever.
    this is the only book which successfully encouraged me to go out from my comfort zone last year.
    and paulo coelho is brilliant.... if you read his latest book, Manuscript Found in Accra, you will feel like reading 'the alchemist part 2'... paulo's words are really inspiring.

    i love this quote:
    "when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaa.... i'm late reading this post kik. you wrote it almost two years ago :)
    the alchemist is my most fav book ever.
    this is the only book which successfully encouraged me to go out from my comfort zone last year.
    and paulo coelho is brilliant.... if you read his latest book, Manuscript Found in Accra, you will feel like reading 'the alchemist part 2'... paulo's words are really inspiring.

    i love this quote:
    "when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew about Manuscript Found in Accra. I will go try to find it ... thx for the recommendation. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Bad Reviews Don’t Stop Me from Watching X-Men: Apocalypse

Movie Review | Stream of Tears in Wedding Dress

Kung Fu Panda 2 | Movie Review